Janssen, dr. ir. F.J.J.M. (Fred)
- Associate professor
- Teacher educator
- Lesson design by teachers
- Reflection by teachers
- Inquiry learning
|Telephone number:||+31 (0)71 527 6590|
|Faculty / Department:||ICLON, Voortgezet Onderwijs, Lerarenopleiding|
Willem Einthoven gebouw
2333 AL Leiden
Room number B2.38
Fred Janssen (1967) completed his Masters in Biology in 1992 (cum laude). In 1999 he received his PhD at the University of Utrecht on the basis of his thesis entitled: Learning Biology by Designing: Exemplified and Tested for Immunology. Since 1999 on he has worked as assistant professor, associate professor (September 2010) and teacher educator at ICLON (the Leiden University Graduate School of Teaching). His current research and publications focus on teacher learning especially with respect to inquiry learning in classrooms.
Current research projects:
- Developing an approach for developing and testing effective design support for teachers.
- Research on the role of positive experiences for stimulating productieve reflection by teachers
- Research on the role of domain-specific models for stimulating productive reflection by teachers.
- Developing a model for eliciting and comparing teachers’ beliefs and practices with respect teaching and learning (Phd-project).
- Understanding and supporting design of context-concept lessons by teachers (Phd-project)
- Understanding and supporting design of open inquiry lessons by teachers (Phd-project)
- Understanding and supporting stimulating student questioning by teachers (Phd-project).
Janssen, F.J.J.M., & Verloop, N. (2003). De betekenis van perspectieven voor leren leren [The value of perspectives for learning to learn]. Pedagogische Studiën, 80, 375-391.
Janssen, F.J.J.M. , Hullu, A. E. de, & Tigelaar, D.E.H. (2008). Positive experiences as input for reflection by student teachers. Teachers and Teaching: Theory andPractice,14, 115-127.
Janssen, F.J.J.M., & Hullu, A.E. de (2008). A toolkit for productive thinking. Journal of Biological Education,43, 21-28.
Janssen, F.J.J.M., Tigelaar, D.E.H., & Verloop, N. (open access). Developing Biology Lessons Aimed at Teaching for Understanding: A Domain-specific Heuristic for Student Teachers. Journal of Science Teacher Education. DOI 10.1007/s10972-008-9118-3.